Monday, April 27, 2009

Getting Answers to Prayer - Part One

In order to get our prayers answered, take the first step and get clean before God. None of us want to live in filth physically. The smells, the feel, the oily look, the . . .well you get the picture. Several years ago I joined a group on a trip to Honduras, and came back with a hanging bag that had to be put down because it had absorbed some kind of a bad, stinky odor! We had a little puppy, or should I say "poopy", when I was very young who would decorate the carpet with multi-colored droppings. Needless to say, this is not the way to live long and prosper in the Sauvageot household. Most of us have a level of tolerance when it comes to cleaning. At a certain point an internal alarm goes off and we MUST CLEAN. Then again, you can visit some places and wonder where the alarm level is for those people.

Wouldn't it be great if our spiritual sensitivity was so acute that ANY SIN set off a loud spiritual cleaning alarm? God will not hear our prayers when we "regard iniquity in our heart". He has the power and desire to clean us up, but we must first come to Him for cleansing. "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to forgive us form all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9)

We can either be sin "coverers" or sin "confessors". Sin "coverers', like Achan, will not prosper. However, when we come clean with God and agree with Him regarding our particular sins, He will clean us up. 1 John 3:22 carries a powerful promise: "And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight."

It is time to clean up! I don't know about you, but I must have instant and full access to the heavenly throneroom. My budget requires it. My ministry requires it. My friendships require it. Every part of my life necessitates that God brings His power and His help. Like preacher Harold Clayton from over in Texas, I wake up in the mornings and pray, "Lord, HELP!" How about you? Do you also have a need of daily and moment-by-moment heavenly intervention? If you do, then come to the fountain for salvation's cleansing, and then have your feet washed daily so that you gain access in prayer.

GOD BLESS YOU TODAY!!

1 comment:

Faith said...

Great post! Reading reminded me of two things. Are you familiar with the song "I Want a Principle Within"? I hadn't thought of it in a while, so I'm glad for the reminder! Powerful song/prayer to live by and share. I used it as a song of the month when I was teaching.

1. I want a principle within
of watchful, godly fear,
a sensibility of sin,
a pain to feel it near.
I want the first approach to feel
of pride or wrong desire,
to catch the wandering of my will,
and quench the kindling fire.

2. From thee that I no more may stray,
no more thy goodness grieve,
grant me the filial awe, I pray,
the tender conscience give.
Quick as the apple of an eye,
O God, my conscience make;
awake my soul when sin is nigh,
and keep it still awake.

3. Almighty God of truth and love,
to me thy power impart;
the mountain from my soul remove,
the hardness from my heart.
O may the least omission pain
my reawakened soul,
and drive me to that blood again,
which makes the wounded whole.

You can hear the tune and even print out a piano score here:
http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh410.sht

The other thing I remembered was a paper we had to write back at II about dirty feet. I still have that in my file box, packrat that I am. lol